Weight Loss Program with Tirzepatide
Tirzepatide is a combination of GLP-1 and other gut hormones including GIP, making it a dual receptor agonist. It is currently FDA approved for management of Type 2 Diabetes under the brand name Mounjaro, but recent studies have shown tirzepatide to be the most effective medication for notable body weight loss. The dual capabilities of GLP-1 and GIP together have shown statistically better therapeutic results in weight loss compared to semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy).
Tirzepatide works for weight loss by sending signals to the brain that increase satiety and decrease appetite, while also slowing gastric emptying of the stomach to create feelings of fullness. There are many other benefits of tirzepatide that include an increase in cardio protection, decrease in both subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue, and a decrease in fasting glucose.
The most frequent side effects reported while using tirzepatide are mild to moderate gastrointestinal events. This can include heartburn, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, indigestion, flatulence, belching, and/or constipation. Other common side effects reported include injection site reactions such as bleeding, bruising, or welting of skin tissue.
While using tirzepatide, it is highly recommended to follow these suggestions to minimize the gastrointestinal symptoms and to have healthy weight loss:
- Eat a diet high in fiber, focusing on fruits and vegetables.
- Eat small amounts of high protein meals as digestion is slowed down.
- Avoid foods high in fat as they take longer to digest.
- Drink at least 32oz of water a day to avoid constipation and to stay hydrated.
- Decrease caloric intake by 500/day.
- Increase physical activity by 150 minutes/week, focusing on strength training.